There are a number of requirements you have to satisfy before you can get married the General Register Office has more details), such as:

  • Residency: You can get married in England and Wales as long as you have both lived in the area for at least seven days before giving notice of marriage. This applies to all couples, including those travelling from overseas to marry in England and Wales. There are some exceptions.
  • Documentation: You need to show evidence of name, age, and nationality (ideally in the form of your passport). You will also be asked to provide evidence of your address and evidence of the ending of any previous marriage.
  • Notice: It is a legal requirement to give notice of marriage and, once given, your notice of marriage is displayed on the notice board at the register office for a period of fifteen clear days. The Notice is valid for 12 months and is a legal document required by the Marriage Act 1949 giving the couple’s name and surname, age, address, occupation, nationality, and marriage venue.


Author: Jon Robins

Jon is editor of the Justice Gap. He is a freelance journalist. Jon’s books include The First Miscarriage of Justice (Waterside Press, 2014), The Justice Gap (LAG, 2009) and People Power (Daily Telegraph/LawPack, 2008). Jon is a journalism lecturer at Winchester University and a visiting senior fellow in access to justice at the University of Lincoln. He is twice winner of the Bar Council’s journalism award (2015 and 2005) and is shortlisted for this year’s Criminal Justice Alliance’s journalism award

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Skip to toolbar